Apprentice Wages & Benefits
The Alliance provides various benefits to help provide protection and assistance for apprentices and their families. Fringe benefit dollars are paid by contractors on behalf of the apprentice directly to GMR Associates, Inc. to provide the apprentice with these benefits. The value from these benefits and services is really a “hidden paycheck” provided by our Alliance Contractors, with a value of approximately $16.50 per hour.
Apprentices are provided health insurance, trade related training, paid vacation (5 days), six paid holidays, supplemental unemployment insurance and pension benefits.
Additionally, there are a number of the programs (such as Social Security, Workers’ Compensation, State Disability, and Unemployment Insurance) which cover the apprentices in the manner prescribed by law.
Here are some of the highlights of the Alliance’s Apprentice benefits program:
- MEDICAL & HEALTH INSURANCE All Apprentices are provided the Alliance’s Medical Insurance Program. Premiums for individual coverage under this insurance are fully paid by the Alliance. The coverage becomes effective the first of the month following 30 days after the apprentice’s first day of on the job training employment and submission of the completed forms.
- VACATION All Apprentices are eligible for 5 days’ vacation per year, paid at the Apprentice’s private base pay rate at the time of vacation.
- PAID HOLIDAYS All Apprentices are eligible for eight hours of holiday pay at their private wage rate for the following six holidays: Memorial Day (May 30); Fourth of July; Labor Day; Thanksgiving Day; Christmas Day and New Years’ Day.
- UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION In addition to the New York State Unemployment Compensation (Unemployment Insurance), the Alliance provides a supplemental insurance fund for Apprentices due to an unforeseen extended layoff period. The entire cost for this protection is paid by the Alliance Contractors.
- MILITARY LEAVE A military leave of absence will be granted to Apprentices who are absent from work because of service in the U.S. uniformed services in accordance with the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).